- "No more dead bodies. No more unsafe streets, no more war. Your promise was and has been since the beginning of this unholy competition that the winner gets whatever he asks for. Whatever, Calypso!"
- —Carl Roberts, Twisted Metal (1995)
Sergeant Carl Roberts (Or Buzz Roberts in TM2 and TMIII) is a recurring character in the Twisted Metal series. He first appears as a driver in Twisted Metal (1995), continuing with Twisted Metal III and Twisted Metal: Head-On. He is the driver of Outlaw alongside his sister Jamie Roberts after his brief appearance in Twisted Metal 2.
A good cop in a world gone mad. He has entered the contest in hopes of forcing Calypso to put an end to Twisted Metal once and for all...
In the live action ending, he is portrayed by Mark Everest.
Buzz is briefly seen in Jamie's ending. Calypso trapped him in outer space after he had won the previous Twisted Metal contest. He and his sister reunite and manage to return to Earth.
Voice actor: Christopher Nissley
Buzz and Jamie are frustrated Los Angeles police officers who have been trying to stop the Twisted Metal contest for several years. They plan to end the tournament, cuff its drivers and eradicate crime everywhere, right after they pick up three dozen donuts at the local quickie mart. This dynamic duo packs some serious heat.
- Jamie: "We're two good cops in a world gone bad. My brother and I'll put a stop to Calypso once and for all!"
- Buzz: "Winning the Twisted Metal contest will prove to the world that there is honor behind the badge, and good triumphs over evil!"
Info and Ending:
- It is strongly implied that Carl was the canon winner of the first Twisted Metal contest as it was mentioned in both TM2 and TM:H-O that he had won and was trapped by Calypso, a direct reference to his TM(1995) ending.
- It is unknown how Carl was able to survive in outer space in nothing but his car for an entire year without oxygen, food or protection from the vacuum. It's possible that Calypso used his powers to keep him alive as means of tormenting him.